MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 6 - 1/25/10 - Steamboat Springs CO


“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” –Freya Stark

After five days of travelling in a car my arrival to Steamboat yesterday was welcomed. Last night I relaxed in the condo. I missed the Jets lose (too bad Singlak) to the Colts, but I was able to watch the Vikings lose to the Saints (sorry Cav). Not much to my last night besides dinner and uploading my videos from the days journey. Waking the next morning was a strange, but euphoric feeling. It was different to be alone and have no one's voice around me. My quote for the day tells it all. This day brought some welcome sites. The mountain side condo I am in is courtesy of my good friend Pat Cavanaugh's (mentioned above as "Cav") family. They are from Minnesota and again sorry for the Vikings loss. I can't thank them enough for this opportunity....as well as many, many others over the past 15 years. Here is the condo (Storm Meadows) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWuS23HwdEo and thank you again to the Cavanaugh's.

Steamboat Springs is a town with a great environment. It has good terrain on the mountain, lots of restaurants/bars and a great downtown area. This first day I will spend exploring the area and getting used to my surroundings here. I walked the mountain village area, took the picture (above) of the mountain and looked into ski rental rates for the arrival of the Boston boys later this week. Later that day, feeling a little out of shape from the cross country journey, I found a gym close to the condo and the mountain. I convinced the folks inside to let me work out even though I was not a "member" of the condo association that runs the facility. If you extend kindness and a humble approach, it will return back to you in time. Not all the time, but it feels good to know that it does happen. Here are a few words after my work out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cocQ8lpt0. I felt great after. Rejuvenated, energetic and ready to take on the mountain the next day. I know some people thrive off it and some don't, but working out is a part of everyday life for me. Part of it is the fact that I have had three knee surgeries and keeping "the wheels" strong is important. Another part is that I have had some heart issues over the past five years and I want to do everything I can to keep the clock ticking. Generally, it just keeps me in a great state of mind and gives me the natural energy (caffeine and I do not get along) I need for what I do. And while I am perfectly capable of laziness and putting back a 2,000 calorie meal, I respect the balance of health and letting yourself go. For me, balance (eating included) is easy to find during the week and a little more difficult on the weekend.

The night brought a few visits to some mountainside bars and some conversation with friendly bartenders/waitresses. People are very nice out here. All was short-lived as my nights rest was occupying my mind. For tomorrow would be the first day of my trip's main purpose. Tomorrow would be my first day on the mountain; the first day of the trip that I stand on top of mother natures majesty and have the world at my feet. Who would not enjoy that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment