MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 8 - 1/27/10 - Steamboat Springs


Expecting is the greatest impediment to living. In anticipation of tomorrow, it loses today.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Day 8 (Wednesday) in Steamboat was a day of anticipation and preparation. The gang from Boston will arrive tomorrow. After my great day on the mountain yesterday I am relaxing in the condo, catching up on a few emails and phone calls to say hi. In the evening I went grocery shopping in downtown Steamboat (off the mountain) to get breakfast items, snacks and of course some refreshments for the gang. When I was walking around I also noticed a night time ski area. I posted the picture I took of it above. The ski area sat right on the edge of town, just minutes away from all the restaurants, shopping and bars. It was a view that made this town even more of a perfect ski town.

There was also something different of the way I was feeling today. It's hard to explain, but for the past week I have felt that my journeys have given me a sense of distance from my life back in Boston. It was actually a central theme that Colm and I discussed when he was with me. That theme being that when you travel across country and spend so much time in a car going from place to place, you generally feel like you've been gone longer than you have. To put some numbers to this theme, by Day 3 of Colm and my travelling, we both felt like we had been away from Boston for two weeks. Even with time passed and people missed (a lot) we felt distant in such a short amount of time. Anyway, to my point. With this anticipation of the Boston guys here in Steamboat, I have felt close to home in a way. It makes perfect sense, but it is a very different feeling than what I have been feeling as I traveled across country. It's a welcome feeling of course, but just different. Based on this, I can already say that if you want to open yourself to feelings that you have not had before, take your time to travel across country, hit a ski mountain you have never visited before and meet people (be outgoing) you have never met before. There are multiple other ways to do so, but these three ways open you.

I'm expecting a great day tomorrow. I feel like I have lost today. Tomorrow will be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment