MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 7 - 1/26/10 - Steamboat Mountain


“It is the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly. You almost feel like you could fly without the plane.” - Charles Lindbergh

Did I even sleep last night? Was Christmas last night? The answers to those questions, in order, are yes (although it was hard getting to sleep) and no...though I sprung out of bed as if it was. It's a bit comical, but understand that part of my journey is to experience the #1 item in the 2007 film The Bucket List. Anyone remember? It was "Witness something truly majestic" Now this thought is open to what everyone would interpret as "majestic". What does majestic mean to you? I think it is part circumstantial. Majestic is defined as having or showing lofty dignity or nobility. Or a more appropriate definition, of the root word majesty (derived from the Latin word Maiestas), is greatness. My point. If I am going on a trip to the Carribean, then the vast ocean that surrrounds the islands would be majestic in part. Think about it. The ocean covers more than 70% of the earths surface. Surely there is majesty there even if it is covered by water. I grew up in Cape Elizabeth, Maine and I have come to a point in my life where anything I see up there is majestic. It's a beautiful place and even though I know everyone reading this has a special place in their lives, go visit there and you will not be disappointed. To further my point and make it more relevant; my majesty in this grand journey is to be on top of a mountain, in the US, that gives me the greatest feeling in the world. It's the ultimate search for one of the most beautiful places that I have seen. P.S. I know I have seen some already, both in places and people.

If you could not tell, my selected quote relates to snowboarding (or skiing). In more specific terms, I do not do it enough and although I struggle to describe the feeling in words, it sometimes gives me the feeling that I am flying. Quite simply, it is an amazing feeling. And as amazing as the feeling is, it is still important to be safe. In preparation for this adventure I ensured that I had safe equipment. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZa65xIjRo

Although I was by myself on the mountain, I had a great day. Here are two videos. The first is my best run of the day. It's the backside of Steamboat called Morningside. Good tree skiing and although Steamboat has seen a significant decline in snowfall this season, you cannot tell from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnJV5z_iVg0. The second is toward the end of the day when the snow picked up. Keep in mind this was a Tuesday and there was no one on the mountain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrMwA_Ksdk. You may not be able to tell, but it was snowing hard and it was cold.

My day ended up with a much needed hot tub (condo has one) and rest. In a day and a half the boys from Boston will be arriving and I need rest for that. Good night and hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment