MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 42 - 3/2/10 - 13,320 feet






“Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.” - Dag Hammarskjold







Today is Tuesday March 2nd, 2010. It is the day I will hike to Telluride Ski Resorts highest peak, Palmyra. Palmyra stands at 13,320 feet. As shown in the picture above, I will stand atop Palmyra. For a brief time, I'll see the sun as large as I have ever seen it and I will feel as though I was king of the mountain. It's the highest I've ever been on foot.

Here is my video. I again chose the band Angels & Airwaves and the more I listen to their new album, the more it fits these videos. You will see the irony in part of the bands name "Angels" right at the beginning of this video. The song's name is "Shove". During the eventual descend down Palmyra it would be the steepest terrain I had ever been on. It was a narrow chute...at times only 10-15 yards wide and straight down. This was an incredible day:


The quote of the day puts things into perspective for me. I am the type of person who does not put things I have done and accomplished at any higher level than the people next to me. Everyone has trials and obstacles (i.e. hills and mountains) to overcome. The few people who have climbed Everest have certainly pushed themselves more than I did today. Everest stands at 29,029 feet. Today I reached the top of 13,320 feet and I will consider that low until a day I can reach 29,029 feet. It is not to say that I did not feel great about getting to the top of my destiny today (and I could have turned back) but I believe there are many more mountains and hills to climb in life.

I hope you enjoyed the video. I also hope you are doing well and good night from Telluride.

No comments:

Post a Comment