MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 62 - 3/22/10 - Telluride's Arts





"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso







Today is Monday March 22nd 2010. It's a busy day on the mountain as a new wave of spring breakers make their way to the mountain. I worked today, but my work is not what I would like to discuss. The Telluride art scene is today's topic. Telluride's population of 2,200 may not be a large number, but what it does have that sticks out like a sore thumb is a GREAT arts scene.

It did not take me long to understand the Telluride arts scene. I had always heard about the famed Telluride Film Festival - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluride_Film_Festival - but truth is there are arts everywhere and everyday in this small town. Displays, events and performances seem ever present in the library, at theaters, on the streets and in the shops. The Telluride Council for Arts and Humanities (TCAH) champions the programs for the visual and performing arts community and the general public. Here is their Mission Statement and Vision:

Our mission

TCAH is a community-based arts organization that exists to encourage creativity by developing a flourishing cultural environment in Telluride and the region. We also focus on outreach, artistic education and making it affordable for families to participate in cultural experiences.


Our vision

TCAH strives to increase awareness of the arts and humanities by:

*serving as an arts and humanities communication network;

*providing an arts facility for the community and artists (visual, performing, textile, multimedia and more);

*presenting and sponsoring quality art exhibits;

*organizing arts festivals;

*assisting offering more performing arts events and securing funding for local theatre;

*generating active community participation; and

*coordinating with other arts and humanities organizations for a stronger community.


My picture of the day (click on it to enlarge) is one of my favorites from this adventure. The sun, moon and all of mother nature always provide great photos, but this is one photo op I have been waiting for since I arrived here. With the words above from the TCAH in mind, this picture embodies Telluride. The artist is the gentleman on the right. The gentleman on the left was someone passing by who knew the artist. They might be friends or acquaintances. The artist is at the center of Main St. and is painting the easterly facing slope, toward Ajax Mountain, of Telluride's box canyon (canyon with three steep sides, one road into it). Both the passer by and the artist have somewhat of a hug going on, but it's more a manly one. It's almost as though the passer by is appreciating what the artist has on his canvas. Perhaps the passer by is thinking along the lines of Picasso's quote of the day.....wondering where along the years he lost his creative flare as a child. That is the beauty of art. Whether a picture, a painting, a sculpture, a design or theater, it is all open to self interpretation. For my picture of the day I will assume they are good friends and that the artist on the right is happy to hear what the passer by (not a painter, but someone with artistic views) thinks of his work-in-progress painting. The passer by has the accuracy of the painting in mind, but he is more in tune to the harmony of the colors in the painting.

Those of us that may not be considered artists in our daily lives can certainly relate to the quote of the day. Prior to my adventure I cannot recall when, if ever, I felt like an artist. I remember my parents (or Santa) once delivered me a little play architect table and tools. It was one of those gifts you never forget. Maybe that was the last time creativity absorbed my mind. I bet for many of us that having kids and watching them in those toddler years is a sure fire way to bring our artistic talent out from the dust. Being here has brought about a sense of artistry that I am happy I came across. I can mostly relate it to the job I have as a photographer, but anyone who lives here is encouraged by it.

I have been to two events (theater) and walked through the art galleries on Telluride's Main St. What I have learned in such a short amount of time is this - just as the mix of business people, millionaires, hippies, old, young, quiet and opinionated people give Telluride its character, a creative cultural environment is essential to Telluride’s well-being. Even more present than that however, is that Telluride does not even need the creativity of people to display its artistic culture. It has it in its surroundings....none of it created by people and some of the most picturesque scenery in the world. Good night from Telluride and I hope you are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment