MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 54 - 3/14/10 - Everything's Magic







Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe





Today is Sunday March 14th 2010. The picture of the day today is the area of the ski mountain that I spent this magical day. It is called Prospect Bowl and it is known for getting a lot of snow dumped into it during storms. I know in a lot of my videos it seems like no one else is on the ski mountain. This is partially true. There are many skiers and snowboarders on the mountain. But if you look closely at today's picture (click on pic to enlarge) there are two areas in the upper bowl (wide open white area toward top center of pic) that say "Closed. Guided only" on them. These are the areas that I hike to and descend down. Others hike there as well, but the majority of the people who ski Telluride are elsewhere on the mountain. I should also note that this pic is a bit outdated. Most of these areas I hike to are not closed off and have names now (i.e. Black Iron Bowl).

There are several things I like about today's quote. First, I like history and the quote is from a German polymath (writer, philosopher, scientist and more) who died in 1832. I have used many great quotes and some are from great minds of our past. I had never heard of the person behind today's quote until today. After reading about him and his accomplishments I had no trouble seeing how a person of his background could state such a meaningful quote. His work, which cannot be defined by one expertise, had the elements of magic, grace and power. He was a painter, writer and thinker. Each of these occupations embody magic, grace and power. And for a person who excelled in a wide variety of subjects, look no further then the first sentence of his quote to define who he was. The second reason I like the quote is because it supports my adventure in two ways:

a) I thought about this blog for a while. I was not sure if I wanted to document a daily log of the things I was doing and thinking when I left Boston. It was not so much the time it took, but just the idea of having people read what I'm writing. I had never written before, I generally keep thoughts to myself, and in my humble approach to life, I do not necessarily think what I have to say is interesting. But as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe would say "whatever you think you can do....begin it". I thought about the blog. I began a blog. My only hope is that people find it of interest. Thanks Johann.
b) Johann says "Action has magic, grace and power in it" In the context of his quote (and life) I believe he is saying if you think it, then do it (first sentence). If you "do it", then you are putting something into action that can lead to great things (second sentence). I also know he was talking about today's video of the day...thanks again Johann:


I hope you enjoyed the video and see how the quote of the day can apply to you. For me, one thing keeps popping up. I lost my nine year job as an accountant involuntarily. I started an adventure, started a blog and became a photographer within 3 months of losing my job. I have enjoyed the "change of scenery" and I certainly have more confidence in exploring new ideas, new subject matter and doing what makes me happy.

Hope every one is well and good night from Telluride.

No comments:

Post a Comment