MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 44 - 3/4/10 - Getting to Work
















Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you...while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Today is Thursday March 4th 2010. First, let's cover some history of the man who gave us today's quote. Look to nature, and our country's wilderness, and you will look to John Muir as an early advocate of its preservation. From Wikpedia:

His letters, essays, and books telling of his adventures in nature, especially in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California, have been read by millions. His activism helped to save the Yosemite Valley, Sequoia National Park and other wilderness areas. The Sierra Club, which he founded, is now one of the most important conservation organizations in the United States. One of the most well-known hiking trails in the U.S., the 211-mile John Muir Trail, was named in his honor. Other places named in his honor are Muir Woods National Monument, Muir Beach and Muir Glacier.

I have been to Muir Woods National Monument. It is about 12 miles north of San Francisco and houses some of the most magnificent Redwood trees in the world. If you have not been there, or are not from the 470 mile long/47 mile wide strip of Pacific land from Monterey, CA to Brookings, Oregon (roughly) where Redwoods are exclusively found, then do yourself a favor and go there. It's amazing.

Why am I telling you this? It's not because of the Redwoods. Telluride has none. It is more because nature itself here in Telluride dominates. It's the mountains, valleys, rivers, wildlife, summer colors, winter snow, trees, red rocks and more. The pictures above are what I took of my walk to work today. I walk this path along a creek on my way to the gondola. The creek water flows even when the air is at freezing temperatures. It's one of the most tranquil scenes in the town. It may look like it's situated outside of town, but it is not. It is a path at the base of the ski mountain and it does well hiding some of the houses and town life that are close to it.

For all of my post collegiate life, commutes to work have had some element of stress. Not just accidents, crowded trains, honking of horns and too many traffic lights, but also the constant pace that is present in how people move around on their way to work. Muir's last line echoes feelings of my morning walk to work today. I seem to have no worries as I take this path to my job on Telluride mountain. I'm not thinking about work. I'm not thinking about anything except my communication with the many dog walkers on this path. For the time I walk this path, I have no worries. Look at the pictures again and maybe you will temporarily have no worries too (cue the "Nature's Sounds" CD). This time of my day is tranquil, peaceful and worry free. I hope there is some element of peace and tranquility in all of your days. It's nice to have, when you can have it. In general Telluride is a huge supporter of land, water and energy conservation. Telluride is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and their conservation efforts are in part to keep the town's history, prestige....and nature in good standing.

Thanks for checking in and good night from Telluride...where I have not heard one honking horn since my arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment