MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 68 - 3/28/10 - Family


"Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted." ~Paul Pearshall


"Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." ~Anthony Brandt


Today is Sunday March 28th 2010. I worked today and aspects of my job got me thinking of my family. In particular, part of my job is to approach people and families and ask if they want memories captured. It's hilarious because if they decline a family photo, the declining person is always the father. This would be like my father; he wants to keep the day going with minimal distraction. Although it would be my mother who would overrule and have final say when it comes to a family photo. I remember our family photos. Digging back I believe Olan Mills and Steve Maines captured some of the Richio family photo shoots. One year (I was in high school) we went with the all white theme. It was classic and I think it still has a spot on my parents home wall in Maine. When I see the "difficult" younger children of the families I shoot on Telluride mountain, I think of how difficult my siblings and I must have been. My brother Matt and I must have been trouble when we were younger with the whole dress up and pose thing. Anyway, it would be the many unique families I met today that made me miss my family.

The immediate Richio family is pictured above. There is Mom (Jo-Anne), Dad (Nick), sister (Jenn) and brother (Matt). The new addition in mid 90's was brother-in-law (Paul) and new additions thereafter, were Jenn and Paul's children, Nicholas (2003) and Rebecca (2007). Everyone is pictured above, except Paul. My parents are one month apart in age...they were high school sweethearts in Maine, even though my mother went to South Portland HS and my father to Portland HS. They worked through the rivalry! Dad did everything in sports but his top sports were football and baseball. I think he even rolled in gymnastics. I remember drive way basketball as well and he was good...until I grew up! Mom was a cheerleader. She had charisma, elegance and leadership; she was captain. Both Mom and Dad are great cooks, hard workers and they dedicate much of their lives to the hundreds of members in the Richio and Nappi (Mom's maiden name) families. Both of my parents were from large families. Dad was the second oldest of 7 children and Mom was the oldest of 8 children. My sister is the oldest of my siblings. She went to South Portland High School, where my mother had attended, and then University of Rhode Island (URI) where she studied pharmacy. Back in her Telluride days her job was at Sunshine Pharmacy, the only in town pharmacy. Jenn excelled in sports as well. Swimming and softball were her cup of tea, but I give her a TON of credit for being a key figure in starting the URI women's lacrosse program. Matt is the middle child. He and I were a year apart in the Cape Elizabeth Maine school system. Growing up close in age always stirred up fun, conflict and adventure. It also helped us out in sports. We both played soccer. He was a goalie and I a field player; he would cause the first significant injury (ankle) of my career when he took me out as I was coming in on a breakaway against him at a camp. That left a mark! In non-soccer seasons he would play hockey and lacrosse while I played basketball and baseball. We were competitive and would both go on to coach youth sports. Matt is currently studying (electrical trade) at a small college in Maine. I am the youngest and through this blog you know enough about me.

Phew. There's some background. Today's quotes of the day have also made me think of my family. I included two quotes because to me, they are very different, but both very true. On the first quote, I would do anything for any and all of my family members and I know they would do the same for me. Even when I feel I take my family for granted (being far away from them) I hope they know that I would drop anything to be at their side. I also know that not every one out there shares the same sentiment. There are people who do not have family or who have made decisions to permanently remove themselves from family. This leads to the second quote. There are many things that will change individuals (and families) within a lifetime. Hopefully the "start" of your life will lend to good values and virtues along any path of change. In the "end", even if you took things for granted and became distant, hopefully those same values and virtues will lend to a celebration of life with family around you. It will not always work out to be this way. That is just a fact of life and the world we live in.

Wherever you are, I hope your family is not far away. Moreover, if they are far away, I hope it is only a physical distance that separates you. Reach out to them tomorrow, say hello, share a story you've never told them, and let them know you are always there for them no matter what.

Thanks for checking in and good night from Telluride.

No comments:

Post a Comment