MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 19 - 2/7/10 - A Special Tribute




"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal" ~From a headstone in Ireland

What am I supposed to do here? I really wanted to do this, but how can I possibly say the right things? I even asked Jason (McGeachey) if it would be ok to write about his Dad and he said it would be ok. Jason is one of my closest friends from Cape Elizabeth (Maine). This will be my most challenging post thus far. I can't even decide if I want to call him Bob or Mr. McGeachey. Bob was the man I did not get to see enough through college and post college years. Mr. McGeachey was the man who supported me in all my endeavors on the soccer fields and in the very important youth and teenage years of life. I'll be all over the map with who I refer to him as. As you can see from the picture above, Bob passed from his family and friends far too soon. Today, February 7, 2010, is the one year anniversary of his passing. And because he touched the lives of so many, this is my small tribute to him.

Bob McGeachey was an amazing man. He still is an amazing man. He was a great husband, father, grandfather, uncle, brother and friend to so many people. Bob took care of others as if they were more important than he was. I saw this first hand with many days and nights spent at the McGeachey household during my youth. Mr. and Mrs. McGeachey treated me better than they did their own sons. He was a hard working man. The sole proprietor of McGeachey Tree and Lanscape he worked magic with his hands on some of the most beautiful property in the town, state and I'll even throw in the east coast. Like I said in Day 7 of my blog, Cape Elizabeth is one of the most beautiful places in our country. His work was admired and respected by all. Bob had an incredible aura to him when he was around his grandchildren. He loved them passionately. But where his greatness shone was in his ability to be a "grandfather" to those who were not his grandchildren. Kids loved him and though I rarely witnessed it, I heard it often and viewed it first hand when people, including so many kids, celebrated the life of this beloved man. Quite simply Bob McGeachey was a man who took all the love, caring and unselfishness in the world and spread it to anyone he came into contact with. My and my parents love for his entire family has made me part of who I am today. I thank Mr. and Mrs. McGeachey for the many years where they treated me as their own.

Of all my quotes, I am most happy I found this one. If you read it a few times and digest it, it is emotionally moving and I think it applies to all of us and the close people we have lost in our lives.

To Mrs. McGeachey, Jeff, Jason, Josh and all of the McGeachey/Thoreck family, each and every one of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that Bob's funeral prayer card travels with me, in my car, each and every day of my journey. If time could stand still, I would be back on Orchard Rd. with the stories keeping me laughing and the signature wood stove fire keeping me worry free. He built everyone of those fires for the family and friends in his home and not for himself.

I hope everyone can pass along a prayer to Mr. McGeachey and those close to you that have passed. Good night from Telluride.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Nick,
    Thank you for your moving tribute to Bob/Mr. McGeachey/Bubba. We always knew he was well loved but it continues to surprise me to know how well. He and I delighted in our family and were always so pleased that our children had such true and wonderful friends. Watching you all grow from children to adults has been a special joy. Our friendships in Cape are far beyond friendships...you are family. Looking in my family album, I see you at 11 years old in Niagara Falls with your red and blue soccer uniform. I see you again in a white and maroon soccer uniform 5 years later. And I also see you and your parents with us in Martha's Vineyard at Chris Pachios' wedding.
    You have a charming smile Nick, just like Bob did. It automatically endears you to people. Anytime Bob and I would see you (ie at the soccer alumni games) we knew you were sure to run over and visit with us. It was always a great comfort to know you would.
    It has been a sad year of firsts for our family. A year we still can't believe. But we are all honored by your memory of Bob.
    Bob stopped to smell the roses every day. He left us that legacy and I am so pleased to see you are on a journey. So remember to look in the sky at the birds in flight, smell the grass in the air after it's been mowed, look for the Big Dipper in the evening sky, skim flat rocks across the pond and when you see an enormous tree, think to yourself (as Bob did) "wow, imagine all the life and history that tree has seen".
    Our love goes with you...and as Bob would say "you're the best". Coleen/Mrs. McGeach/Mimi

    ReplyDelete