MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 37 - 2/25/10 - A Good Day











"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on." ~Robert Frost







Today is February 25, 2010. Today's quote is an important one. I begun this journey 36 days ago and up until a couple of days ago I really had few worries. I had travelled across country, spent nights in different cities, began writing to a blog (which I love doing), taking videos, meeting new people and acquainting myself with the the new town of Telluride. In a scenario like that life was good and life was moving at a pace that only I could change. Then, like we've spoken about before, I settled into a routine. I would drive the same road in and out of town at the same times, get hot chocolate at the same coffee shop, get lunches at the same place and ride the same gondola to get to and from where I needed to go. I'm seeing the same faces and they are seeing me more often. Then, two days ago, I started working at Elevation Imaging as a photographer. Work is a sure fire way to settle into a routine. I started packing lunches (had not done that in 3 months) and waking up early in order to get to the Elevation Imaging shop on time. My same days became a routine. They became my routine. And even with my new work and the semi shock of getting back into a routine, my life goes on like Robert Frost says. All this means to me is that it's up to me to keep this adventure unique, exciting and unusual.

Today's picture of the day is actually a collection of wall pieces that were in the Cavanaugh ski condo located in Steamboat Springs CO. Remember I had stayed there on an earlier part of my adventure. The sayings have become more personal to me as my time in the mountains carry on. The quotes "Pray for Snow", "Snowtime", "Welcome" and "If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are luck enough" are what the 4 wall hangings display. In a nutshell, I have prayed for snow here and it has come, snowtime is a favorite time for people here, welcome is all I have felt since I stepped foot in Telluride and I do consider myself lucky to be in the situation I am in. I do not take it for granted and this video of the day will show you that when you do pray (i.e. for snow), prayers can be answered. The video is of my hike toward Palmyra Peak and subsequent descend into Black Iron Bowl. The music is from a new album by the band Angels & Airwaves. For this video I chose their song "Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce" (an instrumental intro) with transition into a second song "The Flight of Apollo". Their new album is named "Love" and I have been listening to it a lot lately. By the way, "Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce" is Latin. It translates to "And he (or she) leads the world by light" in English. Sounds biblical in a way especially with the word "angels" is in their band name. The Angels and Airwaves sound comes from band proclamations that "the music is to give everyone a sense of weightlessness and ascension....our group's sound was inspired primarily by feelings and emotions which routinely go unnoticed." This description of their musical sound fits very well with the feelings and emotions I had long before, during and after this day......my ascension toward the sky and clouds ended with near weightlessness coming down the powder-filled mountain and through the trees. This has been one of my favorite and inspiring videos to make. Note around the 6 minute mark, the view of Telluride. Without further adieu:


Today was not a routine. Thanks for checking into the blog. I hope you are well and good evening from Telluride.

No comments:

Post a Comment