MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 29 - 2/17/10 - Day Off




"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard






Today is Wednesday February 17, 2010. I have opted to rest (or be lazy) after yesterdays time on the mountain. The combination of hiking and then tiring snowboarding runs did some work to my body. It was a great day. Hope you enjoyed yesterday's video. Truth is I am not really being lazy as I am in fact writing/typing to you. I may have neglected to share this with all of you, but typically when I write/type (and edit videos) I come to the Telluride Public Library. It is named the Wilkinson Public Library. Here is the "about us" piece of info from their website:

The present day 20,000 square foot library located at the corner of Pine & Pacific streets nearly wasn’t built. In 1997 every vote on the referendum to build the new building was essential. After a recount the referendum passed by a margin of only two votes. The new building opened in August 2000.

The front entrance of the library building is pictured above. If you can't tell I am building this library up. Prior to my time here at Wilkinson, I fully admit I have not been keen on library visits in general. As a matter of fact I have vivid memories of my last visits to a library. That would be the Babson College library (named Horn) approximately 13 years ago! I was a procrastinator and typically ended up with long nights studying for exams and writing papers. Anyway, the Wilkinson library is great. I'm not just saying that to make me look good either. Here's why it is great. I sit in a conference room (free), get on their wifi network (free) and can print (free). All things that allow me to type you this blog. And get this. At the end of my library day I walk downstairs and go to their DVD collection. They have lots of documentaries and regular box office type movies. And guess what? You check those out for a one week period...FREE of charge! To date I have watched about 10 documentaries and 4 movies. I've gone old school with the movies. I've watched A Street Car Named Desire, From Here to Eternity and just recently finished Casablanca. Next week I may watch some old westerns with Clint Eastwood and then branch off into some newer ones in following weeks. For the documentaries, the ones I have recently watched are Everest, An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore global warming one) and Bowling for Columbine. I will not bore you with my opinions, but I have "appreciated" all of them. I am about to start watching a series on America's wars. Each DVD covers one war i.e. Civil, Revolutionary, WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, Desert Storm....pretty much every major one. I like history because it defines who, what and where we are today.

On a whim I ended up emailing Justin Chandler at the Telluride Ski and Snowboard Club (TSSC) today. It was a good thing I did so. He asked me if I was interested in working for the Alpine races this weekend. It was a four day event beginning tomorrow (Thursday) so again my timing of reaching out to him was impeccable. Remember, for each day of race I volunteer I get two tickets, one to work the race and one to use whenever I want. Volunteering for the races has nice little perks.

So there is my day today. Nothing burning and not too much excitement. But at least you have met my home base from where I bring you this blog. I enjoy writing to it (and you). I hope you enjoy reading it. Good evening from Telluride's Wilkinson Public Library....they are about to kick me out as it closes at 8pm!


No comments:

Post a Comment