MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Day 38 - 2/26/10 - The "Double RL" Ranch
















"I don't design clothes, I design dreams" - You guess. It's revealed at end of post.

What do you do when your worth is estimated at $2.8 Billion? From Wikpedia:

"As of 2009, Forbes estimates his wealth at $2.8 billion, which would make him the 224th richest person in the world."

One thing you can do is purchase approximately 16,000 acres of ranch property in Colorado. Anyone guess who this person is? Answer is also the answer to the quote of the day. My pictures above will help. His initials are the infamous initials in the "Double RL" ranch located just outside of Telluride, CO in the town Ridgeway, CO. Also from Wikpedia:

"He owns a Ferrari 250 GTO, a McLaren F1 GTR LM, and, more recently, a Bugatti Veyron among others....his cars were recently displayed at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston"

First of all, I love cars and where was I for this Museum of Fine Arts display? Surely it must have been when I still lived there? I blame myself and my lack of adventure while I was comfortable in my city of residence for the past 13 years. Oh well. It would have been nice to see and maybe, just maybe someday I can have my own 250 GTO. By the way, the Bugatti Veyron lists at $1.7 million base price, has a top speed of 253.8 mph, goes 0-60mph in under 2.5 seconds (WOW) and is 1,000 horsepower (did not know that was possible) I want one!

So from all those facts and especially the quote of the day mixed with the initials of his ranch name should have this one nailed down for you. It is Ralph Lauren and his ranch location was my adventure of the day. Of course I could not get any closer than my pictures took, but it was amazing to drive, and drive, and drive and the see the fence that runs along the highway road that surrounds his property. Honestly it was one of my most scenic drives in Colorado and I was happy to spend a day off (from work and snowboarding) in order to check it out. It's only about ten minutes from where I live. It's pretty impressive. Lauren also has homes in New York (he was born in 1939 in The Bronx, NY) and in Jamaica.

So I have a new goal in my adventure. It is to meet Ralph Lauren. I think I will write him a letter, tell him I'm down the road and see if he wants to have me over for dinner! That would go over well I'm sure. I should probably prepare for the dinner by actually buying some RL product. I have to admit I don't own any. I am a Banana Republic, JCrew, Puma, Adidas, Burton, Oakley and some others guy. He could have the opportunity to make my blog. What more selling do I have to do to him?!

A nice relaxing day is what I needed. Tomorrow I go back to being photographer. I am actually looking forward to it. Hope you are well and good night from Telluride.



No comments:

Post a Comment