MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 33 - 2/21/10 - Virginia's Last Name?



"Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out." ~ Frank A. Clark

Today is Sunday February 21st 2010. It's the final day(4) of the Jim Drew Memorial FIS Colorado Ski Cup. I do not mean to take away from the racers, but today I will let you know of a different story. There will be no pictures and videos. From my Day 30 post (i.e. Day 1 of this race) I wrote this:

"Unfortunately I cannot tell you who Jim Drew was. This is a memorial race in his name so I am sure he was a special person in the Telluride community. He likely helped to make many races like today's an opportunity to succeed for many young racers. I am happy to be volunteering for a cause under his name."

Also from my Day 30 post I mentioned a very nice woman named Virginia. Virginia worked the start gate with us for the first few days. Today she would be at the finishing gate. She told me when I first arrived at the TSSC headquarters, where every volunteer meets before the races, "Nick, I will not be at start gate today, but we can ride up the gondola together if you want to walk to it with me" Without hesitation I said yes. I ate some banana bread, left the building with Virginia and started a 10-15 minute walk to the gondola. During our walk Virginia explained how she's been doing the races for a long time. She talked about her family, her grandchildren and how her son Patrick was 33 years old. She said "I'm guessing he is your age." Very close Virginia as I am 34. She mentioned her husband periodically. "Jim" she had said a few times. Like time stood still for a brief moment, I stopped cold in my tracks as I was walking down a creek side path in front of her. I turned to Virginia and asked a question. She answered "Yes, he is." After four days of showing up to volunteer for this memorial race, it all came to me. Virginia was the widow of Jim Drew, the fine man who this race is named for. I felt bad and a little naive for not realizing this the previous three days I was with her in the start gate, but she is too humble to say anything and others at the start gate probably already knew and just went along knowing. Because I was new in town she respected I did not know these facts. For me, upon realizing this, I could not have been more honored to walk with her, listen to her and just realize that she was one of the kindest women I have ever met. And in terms of my words from Day 30 above, meeting Virginia ensured me that this race was indeed named for a special man.

My quote of the day is for Virginia. On our walk today she also told me that she was the one who baked and brought the banana and cranberry breads each and every morning for the race volunteers. Did I know this? Not until our walk. Did everyone else know this? I am not sure, but both breads was devoured and gone each day. She baked each night and brought the breads in the next mornings. I had eaten plenty and even though it was after-the-fact, I gave her a big thank you on our walk. The quote of the day is near perfect for great women like Virginia. My grandmothers' (Lucy and Louise) and great grandmother (Assunta) were the same. They do what is in their heart cause they know no different. They never ask for anything in return. And they are so humble that their generosity goes unknown. Virginia, thank you for your great perspective and I am beyond honored that I was able to volunteer in a race for your husbands name.

There is no picture that belongs more in this post than a picture of Virginia Drew. And because I do not have one, the best I can do is to leave it picture less. Certainly if I meet Virginia again, I will ask her if she is ok with me having a picture with her for this blog. Of course she will say yes. She is too kind and generous not to.

Good evening from Telluride. Hope everyone is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment