MY STORY

On January 20th 2010 I departed for my Colorado adventure. Final destination is Telluride, CO. My previous employer closed our Boston office on October 31, 2009 and this seemed to be the most opportune time to do something different. My inspirations are two things really. They are both movies. First is "Into the Wild", a movie about a person who leaves his life behind to pursue a life in the Alaskan wilderness and along the way he meets people that shape his life. The second movie is "The Bucket List", a movie about two terminally ill men who escape a cancer ward with a wish list of to-do's before they die. The #1 item on the wish list is "Witness something truly majestic". My adventures are not exactly similar to these movies, but underlying themes and life changing perspectives are. As far as the location, I thank my sister for that. She lived in the beautiful & remote town of Telluride for five years and met Paul there. Their 1997 wedding was in Telluride (Trout Lake). Telluride is nestled in the dramatic Rocky Mountains of Southwest Colorado.

BLOG 101

If you are new to blogs so am I. Here is an intro. The home page http://mycoloradoadventure.blogspot.com/ has all the posts (the write ups) in order and they work so that most recent is at top of the order. i.e. Day 1, my first post/write-up, is on the bottom page of all the posts/write-ups. On the left side of the blog site there is a "Blog Archive" section where you can navigate to pick and choose year, month and then specific daily posts/write-ups. I wanted to share this in the event you are new to blogs.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 27 - 2/15/10 - Simple Yet Powerful







"So remember to look in the sky at the birds in flight, smell the grass in the air after it's been mowed, look for the Big Dipper in the evening sky, skim flat rocks across the pond and when you see an enormous tree, think to yourself, wow,imagine all the life and history that tree has seen"
- Coleen McGeachey




I've recently received a blog comment and several emails regarding my Day 19 (2/7/10) tribute to Bob McGeachey. The things that have been said in the comment and emails have struck a cord with me. I leave it for you to determine if they do with you.

A piece of Coleen McGeachey's comment to the blog is quoted above. In another email, Jeff Thoreck, sent a story from a recent day of his. Jeff is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. McGeachey. Jeff wrote to me that he was in his yard with his wife and daughter when he looked up to see a hawk flying over head. He thought of what his fathers response would be to a hawk flying over head. He said his father would stop everyone from what they are doing and make sure everyone else was viewing and appreciating what he was.

I left Boston 26 days ago. In that time, I have dealt with new experiences and new emotions. It's easy to have all of that when you leave a routine and do something that you have never done before. With Coleen and Jeff''s reflections and at this stage of my journey/adventure, something has developed into a significant and provoking thought:
  • Take time to enjoy the simple things in life. They can sometimes be the most powerful.
Coleen's words in the quote of the day are a reflection of how her husband lived his life. He appreciated the simple things. Jeff's encounter with the hawk flying over head and his thought process was powerful. I have enclosed a picture above that I had taken a few days before my exchanges with Coleen and Jeff. It was a picture of an elk, roadside, that I did a dangerous uturn for just to snap that picture. To some it is just a picture of an animal. To me, it was a simple shot of something (wildlife) I appreciate and rarely get to see. It was simple in nature and powerful in imagery.

Read the quote a few times over. You have all done bits and pieces of it. I think the question is, have you (and I) done it enough? Or is life too busy and chaotic to stop and take time to look at the stars? I'll never forget being young and on the back porch of the McGeachey home. We looked, looked and looked...until we final saw one. A shooting star. My mind ran a million different ways after it happened. That was powerful. I suppose being young was simple in general. But it does not mean we cannot tap into that simplicity and remember (or learn) to appreciate the simple things. Like Bob McGeachey did.

From a place closer to the stars....good night from Telluride.

No comments:

Post a Comment